Wednesday, July 13, 2011

peas at last

Hahaha- I couldn't resist! oh well-
   I have been obsessing over road-side produce stand signs for some time now.  Every strawberry season brings on fresh produce lust.  Big white signs with one simple berry- I thought about just stealing one, but someone made those signs and I would feel bad.  Naturally you would think I could just make my own, but there is something about the earnest naivete of those signs that I, being overly analytical, didn't think I could replicate.  So the project ended up in the 'one-day' pile.
   Yesterday as I passed replica produce signs in hobby lobby, the 'I can make that bug' bit again, and I began to analyze the project.
   Today I felt victorious after putting up some chalkboard contact paper on my fridge,

and decided to try to make a sign before the baby woke up.  I quickly found the most suitable surface I had and picked a vegetable that fit.  As I was hurriedly painting 'peas' on a strip of masonite that I had lying around, it occurred to me that perhaps I was, after all, painting in the spirit of those roadside stand owners, just making a quick sign not thinking too much about what i was doing.
     Well I managed to make about 4 signs before she woke up.  My thought was to plaster the wall full of different signs, but upon testing it out I realized that this made for quite a busy room.  Originally I had only wanted one sign, no words. AAAAAAAHHHHHH how did I get here again!!!   Struggling between making something simple and profound or crazy and vibrating with color. *sigh*   In search of some middle ground, I decided to put up two signs and live with that for a while.
  
 We will see if it stays this way.
I still want my big strawberry sign.  This was a success in that I actually took action instead of just dreaming about it and a failure in that I still want my damn strawberry sign!


to be continued...

1 comment:

  1. I love those!! Very creative idea. Looks great in the dinning room. Always wanted something similar just with wine, lol. :)

    P.S. Can't wait to see the strawberry sign!

    ReplyDelete